Fonts for Dasher
For Dasher to work in any language, your computer must have the right fonts
Here's how I got Malayalam working under linux:
I went to Alan Wood's
which gave lots of links for Malayalam fonts.
I selected the
link, downloaded their zip file, unzipped it, and put the resulting TTF
file into my ~/.fonts folder.
(You should make this directory if it does not exist.)
Then I typed fc-cache
and restarted Dasher.
Malayalam worked instantly. I didn't need to tell Dasher which font
to use, it just found it.
Behdad got Persian (Farsi) working on my computer by
installing ttf files from
FarsiWeb (go to Products, it's the first item.)
on the other hand, you can download major fonts
from Microsoft, including Tahoma and Times New Roman. They may
not be the most beatiful fonts out there, but they do support
lots of languages (whatever is supported by Windows.) To extract
the fonts form the .exe files available there, you need a tool
To get Gujurati working, I registered with Sun (using the link for
Saraswati from Alan Wood's site) and downloaded their Saraswati TTF file.
HOWEVER, Sun's download link hung my browser.
To avoid this happening again, I right-clicked on their link, selected Copy Link Location,
then used wget to get the file. It was worth the hassle because this font provided
all the Indian languages except Oriya and Sinhala.
For Sinhala, go here... http://sinhala.linux.lk/ or here
Problems and how to fix them
On some linux systems we find that when we switch to Hiragana,
most of the characters (pronounced ka ki ku ke ko, sa, chi, su, se, so, ...)
are rendered just fine, but the japanese characters whose pronunciation is
"a, i , u , e , o , and n"
are rendered as LATIN characters
"a, i , u , e , o , and n".
So it seems some stupid font is asserting that it can provide the character
pronounced "a", and is getting higher priority than the existing
correct japanese fonts!
Would love to know how to override this behaviour.
on such a system, you can figure out what font is being used
to render those characters by simply following these steps:
- run gucharmap
- find the misbehaving character
- right click on it, an enlarged view appears. In the box is
also written the name of the font used.
When you know which font is behaving bad, you can either remove
it, or use some fontconfig configuration to override the setting.
A useful linux utility for looking at fonts is gucharmap.
The Inference Group is supported by the Gatsby Foundation
and by a partnership award from IBM Zurich Research Laboratory
Site last modified Fri Oct 1 10:33:19 BST 2010