Pictures from 1992 to 1996
Thankyou to Ashraf for getting these pictures scanned.
The gif versions are the best. In the jpg versions, the
does degrade the visual quality a bit. jpg pictures take
less time to transfer and take about 10 seconds extra to
Photographers: David MacKay (2,3); Hayley AvRuskin (5-12). Luke Walden
And Other people.
All these pictures are copyright (c) by
Pre-history of Cambridge Ultimate
All `facts' in this item have been passed by word
of mouth through many generations of fireside
story-telling, so don't base any intercontinental wars on
(See also the Pre-Pre-History of Cambridge Ultimate (written May 2006))
In the distant past, at the Student Nationals
of 1992 in Brighton (not Brighton, Exeter!),
both teams in the final were
from Cambridge. Strange Blue (white) was beaten by Bad
Company (Blue). Strange Blue was a Cambridge University
team started by Roger and Sandy,
and Bad Company were mainly from Cambridge schools (though I think that
when they formed, during the 1980s, they were coached by
University-based Cambridge Ultimate players, whose team was then known
they were the key players in the GB Juniors team at that
Top row: Angus Smith, Doug Milne, Roger
Thompson, Caroline Booth (played for S.B.)
Dave McNeilly, Sandy Crockett, Klaus Englyst, Ollie
Watson, Tom Corder, Adam Bennett.
Bottom row: Jim
Keyworth, Viaram (?), Greg Hallam, John Isbel.
What happened next?
Bad Company members went on to play for Regulators
and Horizontal Hombres. When the young upstarts, Regulators,
beat the long-standing champions, Horizontal Hombres,
it was hastily agreed to form a new team,
Shotgun Wedding, from these two top teams. Shotgun proceeded
to dominate UK ultimate for most of the 1990s, and formed the
core of the mighty Clapham Ultimate who dominated UK ultimate
from 2001 to 2005, and who were European champions in 2005.
are they now (1996)? Doug plays for Shotgun Wedding. So does
Roger. Dave McN still played with Strange Blue in
1996. Klaus now plays for Strange Blue. Ollie has come out
of a road accident still playing for Shotgun. Tom is
occasionally sighted holding a disc; and even plays for SB
sometimes; he works in Cambridge. Adam founded Miranda in
the London area. Jim plays with Strange Blue at practices,
as does Greg. Jim sometimes plays for Headrush or Strange
Blue. Greg plays for SB and sells discs in Trinity
Street. [Year 2000 update: Roger and Doug play for
Doughboy. Jim and Greg still come to Jesus Green to play with Strange Blue.
Year 2006: Roger and Doug were key members of the great Clapham Ultimate.]
Luke's photos (1996)
- action shots
Black and white photos from Leicester outdoors 96.
- Doug's huge layout for the last point of the Shotgun/Stan final.
- Roger catching in the Shotgun/Stan final.
- Huge action in the Shotgun/Stan final! All the top British players
decided they wanted this disc. (Do you
recognise the half
leg and arm puffing in at the left hand side?)
Black and white photos from Nottingham Teapot 96.
- Graham handling
- Sam from Nottingham throws with karma
- Nottingham team (Plate winners)
- Natalie and Sander -- they don't get more beautiful than this!
- James handling
Black and white photos from games in Cambridge.
- Ginny apologising to the disc
- Mad Kow tossing past Chris
- Chris looking disappointed
- Arfon demonstrating how to catch
- Chris making the D with his head instead of his hands, which he's
using for flying instead.
- Mike catching
- Mike throwing past a Mad Kow.
- David MacKay catching a disc
- Bob and Chris
- Chris throwing past Arfon (huge recoil!?!)
- Mike throwing past a Mad Kow.
- Leicester Regional Indoors Championships 1996. Team Photo. (plate
winners). Dave McNeilly, David MacKay, Sander L., Graham F.,
Arfon J., Richard J., Sven K., Matt R., Alice B.
- PIC2 action shot - Huge layout by Ho from Leicester
- Leicester Regional Indoors Championships 1996: Red versus Bears game.
- action shot
- Lurkers 94: New York player and GB man with hat (Si Moore) jumping for the
- action shot
- Lurkers 94: One of the best layouts I've seen:
from the GB/GB Masters final. Young GB player (Oz Freire)
disc leaving the GB oldie (Tim Phillips)
way behind. Note the shadows: neither
of them is touching the ground.
- Lurkers 94: `Strange Jest' team photo. (minus Susie)
jpg(45K, looks crummy)
- Ross-on-Wye 1994. Excellent team photo. (We had just had a
surprise win against Sneeekys.)
From left to right: David MacKay, Rob Ward, Ken Matson,
Ashraf, Jackie, Clare (fan #1), Simon, Jeff,
Adrian Lane, Hayley AvRuskin, Peter Grossenbacher,
Klaus, Cynthia (fan #2), Andy, Julie-Ann (fan #3).
That was a great tournament! Photo provided by Ashraf.
- Ross on Wye - Half-team photo, when we won the spirit award.
Picture quality is crummy.
- A very over-exposed picture of a practice on Jesus Green.
- Strange Blue team photo, taken in Cambridge 1994?
This is a night-time photo with flash, it hasn't come out
that well. Features long lost lamented transatlantic players:
Rob Ward, Ken Matson.
- 9: 1994 Strange Blue team photo:
- GB Nationals 1994, Radley. Strange Blue Team Picture, Day 1.
Nice sunny picture, with big shadows.
Back row: Matthew Robb, Dave McNeilly, David MacKay,
Peter Grossenbacher, David (the crowd). Middle row: Jim, Karsten,
Tom Lovelace, Janos, Jason Mattingley, Hayley Gigglesome.
Front row: Adrian Lane, Rik the Red, Tom's dad (shadow).
- Another Strange Blue Team Picture, Day 1, GB Nationals, Radley 1994.
This one doesn't include Hayley, but otherwise it's a poorer
picture than the other.
- Radley 1994, day 1: yet another team photo; a bit overexposed,
and seems to have some finger
prints on it, this one. Also features Hayley and Adrian
looking rather manic. Nice trees in the background.
- Radley 1994 day 2: There doesn't seem to be any opposition in this
picture, so I guess we were just playing catch. Adrian catches
disc. Janos looks hopeful for a drop, everyone else looks
inactive. Nice sunshine, nice trees.
- Radley 1994, day 2: A nice blue sky in this picture, nice grass,
Also shows an unidentified opposition player
apparently just breaking Rob Ward's force.
- Radley 1994, with the Bristol R+D team, at the end of the
tournament. Apparently the photographer is missing some good
action on the next pitch. Janos seems to be playing cricket,
and Jon is changing in the background. Everyone else
looks pretty cheerful.
- Tottenham Dec 1994 - Strange Blue team photo (joint winners of spirit
- Tottenham - another Strange Blue team photo
Darwin-Wolfson sports day 2002
Darwin-Wolfson sports day 2002 - Read it!
- Darwin-Wolfson sports day 2002 - DJCM hucking
- Darwin-Wolfson sports day 2002 - DJCM getting horizontal
- Janos's disc design (not quite the final version); and David's
- Not an Ultimate picture - a picture of David MacKay
laying out in some snow while attached to a snowboard.
Other people's pictures of Ultimate action:
Site last modified Mon Jul 20 08:46:49 BST 2009