Strange Blue

Search :

Advice about physiotherapy


Unfortunately, the term 'physiotherapist' is still unprotected. Any of you could do a weekend course and then put up a sign saying you are a physio. When looking for qualifications, ignore the number and variety of letters! If you want a degree physio, ie one with a full 3year course and then further experience, your therapist should have the letters MCSP. If they also have ACPSM then they have a further qualification in sports physio. There are plethora of other therapists qualifications ranging from weekend courses, through 6 week to 2 year modular courses up to 2 year full time courses. I could only recommend MCSP although I couldn't possibly comment on the individual skills of other practitioners. Look for the letters Dip Sports Med or MSc in Sports Med. when looking for a sports doctor. I'm very happy to recommend people in your area if anyone wants to mail me.

Dr Paul Marfleet (DIP. Sports Med!!)

David J.C. MacKay, Strange Blue
Site last modified Mon Jul 20 08:46:49 BST 2009